Members Area

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Spaceteam Admiral's Club is a community of friends and fans of the game [Spaceteam]. Anyone can create an account but there are special rewards if you support my future projects by becoming a paying member!

Join the Admiral's Club- Henry (aka Captain Spaceteam)

Unity Progress

Comments

• Welcome to the world of Unity. I've been with it for a couple of years and I'm loving it.

My answers to your questions:
    1. To solve this problem, I create a subfolder for my own assets called the same thing as the project. So, for example, all spaceteam-specific assets would be in "assets/spaceteam". What I found is that most asset store extensions aren't that consistent in the folders standard they used. I can "ignore" all other folders and so extensions can be as messy as they like and I can update them as needed without having to think about restructuring them each time.
    3. I think enabling and disabling is the way to go. That's how object pooling is done. The challenge is then to have a well-structured scene.
    4. If you ever find out, please do let me know. Just being two programmers on one scene can become quite messy as there's no way to track changes. I guess an editor script that would create a sort of text scene manifest that you would commit alongside your scene so that diffs show up quickly in Git would be alright. As long as you remember to generate it every time. (just brainstorming here)
    5. I would go for a single-scene in your case.

One question for you: Why would you use Javascript for the game code?

Oh and I would go with Unity's texture packer myself. Seems to be doing anything one would want.
  • Hey there :)

3. It really depends on what you want.
    Having everything in the scene and activating/deactivating :
    +: Everything is loaded at start with the scene
    -: Everything is loaded at start with the scene :D (if you have a lot of things to load, it can take a lot of time to load and use a lot of RAM with textures etc...)

Spawn prefabs:
    +: You have a small scene which is fast to load and have not a lot of things in memory
    -: You'll have to load everything one by one (so more code) AND every time you'll load something, your app may freeze (if you load a big texture for example), which is not really great.

I usually prefer to keep everything in the scene loaded at start, and maybe if you have some heavy things to load (like big textures), unload them before building your game, and just load/unload them where it makes sense during the game.

4. You can (and should) work with the Editor "Asset Serialization" set to 'Force text'. (in Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor).
    With that, everything (including scenes) are stored as txt files and not binary. So you'll be able to merge between other people, and see what has changed. BUT it's not really a human readable format, you'll get to see some info, but not everything is clear.

5. See what I said in 3.
    If you don't have a lot of things, the best thing for me is to have everything in a single scene, so you don't have loading times during the game (only when launching the game) and everything is already available. Plus it can be better for your workflow so you don't have to jump between multiple scenes.
    Also loading from one scene to the other, might take some time to load (and freeze) + you'll have to create some GameObjects that persist between two scenes to show a Loading screen for example etc...

PS: Check out some of the tools I've created on the Asset Store right here: http://u3d.as/625